Wednesday, May 10, 2006

work love dance

in my car i am enjoying 'fear of music' by the talking heads and still debating whether i should just spend the $4+s/h to buy a new 'clean' copy of 'palookaville' or keep waiting to see if the dude e-mails me back.

reading emily's blog, i learned that her husband has been requested to collect a quart jar full of teeth as part of his admission to dental school.

i can't begin to ponder the who, what, when, why, and how's of all that that connotes....

what do i want to be when i grow up? well, a seminary teacher or anything.
teaching seminary is my dream, but if that doesn't work out, i think i can enjoy most anything that will allow me to support a family and spend time with said family.
and while i have passed the first seminary teacher training class and am looking to enroll in the second this fall, i am also pursuing goal number two, and interviewed for another job today [the glorified furniture salesman doesn't really draw me all that much].

i wore my pink bowtie to a wonderfully non-descript office building for a company called NACT. never heard of them? they make software and hardware for telephone switchers. almost as exciting as a paper company, isn't it?
they are looking for a technical writer, and while they asked for a major in english or communications, i know that i can write as well as the next guy and better than most, and so sent them a few samples yesterday at their request [if you want to hire me, i only apply to jobs that require a bachelor's degree]. to my credit, i would like to say that as i was proof-reading my commentary on the communist manifesto before i sent it off, i was quite impressed myself. i used to be good.

walking through a brief tour of the first floor and all the computer rooms, i was reminded of my dad's office at american crystal sugar where he worked for so many years when i was wee.
am i turning into my father?
in some oedipean twist of life, have i become that which i swore against in my high school thespian romaticism, that i would never have a boring 8-5 job like my dad?

such thoughts faded as i toured the second floor and met with the friendly lady who was the vp of something.
it really seems like a cool company [although it would be cooler if they made fireworks or laser guns]. small enough that it feels like a family, everyone seems to know everyone and, while everyone has a title and a job, they will often pull you to do something else if you are the best person for the job.

this sounds like the kind of thing i am looking for, in the sense that it's 180 degrees from what i'm doing right now [what i'm really looking for is the 8-hour day as a director of photography with benefits, so keep an eye out]--it's a job in an office with cubicles, with benefits and salary, and usually 8-5 days.
why is this appealing? because it means i can make friends at work and still be working with them in two months; because i can put in a good day of work and come home when a) i still have energy and b) normal people are still awake; because i won't have to find my own health insurance; because i will belong to someone [interesting, but i think that really means something, which may be why i treasure my cosmic pictures hoodie so much--it gives me a feeling that i have a home].

i'm their first interview, and they will be conducting more searches throughout the next week and half, but i liked them and i think they liked me [the vp lady told me the first guy must have liked me or i wouldn't have made it to her--that made me feel cool].
so about the time i leave for japan, i should know something.

i'm nervous about such a big change, but i get nervous about moving apartments, too.

i heard laughter coming from the cubicles during the interviews.

i liked that.

of course, while i was shooting american fork's little league tonight, i got a call from the Church's studio to work on their new old testament movies, may 22-june 16.
some days, you just can't win.

driving home today, i saw a bumper sticker on the car in front of me that said:

work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one's watching.

i really liked that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer the bumper sticker:
"Work harder, millions of people on welfare depend on you"

Anonymous said...

I like that; it applies to me right now and tells me have have yet another thing to improve on. (or 3 for that matter). ~ M

Em said...

You know it would take quite a bit of energy to be that much alive all of the time..... without entering eat drink and be merry land...

So if you take a desk job and pursue the seminary thing... will that mean you're giving up or cutting back on the crazy bohemian film life?

Anonymous said...

Dance, as though no one is watching,
Love, as though you've never been hurt before,
Sing, as though no one can hear you,
Work, as though you don't need the money,
Live, as though heaven is on earth. ~Rumi~

;) Jekakah