Wednesday, October 04, 2006

i'm nobody's little weasel

for 'great classic foreign movie night' tonight we watched amelie.
the first time i saw amelie, some three years ago, it didn't do it for me. i had heard so much about it beforehand that the movie couldn't possibly live up to its reputation. i watched it, i saw things that were neat and fun and clever, but it just didn't click with me. every time i have seen it since then, i have liked it more and more.

tonight i fell in love with it. interestingly, it wasn't the movie's famous style or tricks that smote me, but the underlying themes, both deep and fun, that i noticed and liked.

amelie just made my top 10.

on a similar vein, mle 'tagged' me; i don't know what that means entirely, but it gives me something to respond to:

What do you like most about where you live?
that i own all of my own furniture, i have good neighbors on both sides, i'm about five minutes from byu and i-15, and there're a surprising number of places to see good movies around.

Is there anything strange about where you live?
the flags that appear on our lawns every so often [and subsequently disappear just as mysteriously], the water drains unusually noisily down the pipes, and the walls jiggle just a bit when trains go by.

What's one of your all time favorite music albums and why?
i've raved about the beach boys' 'pet sounds' before, and that still stands.
unassumingly purchased for the heck of it, coldplay's 'x&y' is a near perfect album: from the opening ethereal sounds of 'square one', aurally swimming through the lakes of the subconscious, to the universal contemplation of 'talk' [really getting overplayed on the radio lately, if it's possible to overplay a coldplay sound], the porcelain beauty of 'fix you', and every other song exists outside of reality. every song is unique while remaining cohesive with the emotional theme of the album, culminating in '+'.


and the orb's 'adventures in the ultraworld' is not only a pioneering landmark of techno, but 100+ minute symphony, layered with sounds and rhythms creating richness and depth. 'little fluffy clouds' helped sell the new vw bug some ten years ago, russian choral music blends with a nasa-sounding report, and 'star 6 & 7 8 9' is what love sounds like.

those would be my three 'deserted island' cds.

Did you have a passion for something as a kid that you still have now? (If not what is one of your passions now?)
i sometimes wonder that i may have lost some of my passions as i have grown up.
whlie i didn't think about it at the time, i did spend many hours playing with my dad's big fatty video camera, doing stop motion, tying g. i. joes to my toys and making weird al 'music videos', and turning the camera sideways so i could 'climb' the floor.


What do you like most about having a blog?
it is where what i say will be heard.

1 comment:

Em said...

I'm sure I was one of those who raved. I swear I've seen it at least 30 times now. And it still is a gigantic happy thought for me. It's not a perfect film, (what truly is) and there are actually some remarkable flaws that were pointed out to me and discussed extensively between myself and Sharon when I wrote about it for theory. But you know what? Even after cutting the whole thing into itty bitty pieces for that class, I can still watch it just for fun. That's got to be something remarkable.