Friday, September 30, 2011

life moves pretty fast...

this may or may not be an actual transcript of an actual conversation that actually took place.

me: hey, life?

life: yes?

me: so… how's it going?

life: fine. i've got lots to do.

me: yeah, about that… do you think you could slow down a bit?

life: no, this is my pace. why?

me: well, it's just that i could really use some time to just put everything on hold. you know, to regain my balance, breathe for a few moments, and then jump back in the game. i think i'd be better that way.

life: sorry.

me: no?

life: no.

me: so how am i supposed to catch back up to where i want to be?

life: you just have to do it.

me: huh?

life: i'm not going to slow down just for you. i can't. so if you want to catch up, you're going to have to do that yourself.

me: but that's hard. it'd be so much easier if…

life: no. it doesn't work like that.

me: ok. i guess i can wait until things slow down and get easier, then i'll catch up.

life: when do you think that's going to happen?

me: it'll be when… um…. after i…. dang.

life: look, i'm not going to slow down. 60 seconds in a minute, 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week; it's the same for everyone. if you want more or less of something, you've got to do it.

me: but can't you just...?

life: no.

me: please?

life: no.

me: so i just have to work harder?  or figure out some other way to do what i want and get where i want to be?

life: yep.

me: you're not going to cut me any slack and help me out here?

life: i can't.  you're the one who has to learn this.

me: ok. i guess that makes sense. thanks for your time.

life: meh.

2 comments:

Leith said...

Oh Jefferson, this made me smile. It also put into words everything I've been feeling lately too.

The Former 786 said...

Wow. I went into this post thinking it was going to be a lighthearted post, but came out with a life lesson. That "60 seconds in a minute, 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week; it's the same for everyone" moment really struck home with me. I think I'm gonna put that bit in my quote journal.